Since 1858, Pine Street has been a powerful force for good in the Harrisburg community. From feeding the hungry and homeless of Harrisburg to exalting God through worship, music, and the related arts, the ministries of the church are as strong today as ever.
Pine Street Presbyterian Church was founded in 1858 as a group of forty-two members led by James McCormick, Jr. They erected an elegant Gothic Revival church designed by Luther M. Simon at Third and Pine streets and laid the cornerstone in 1859. Worship services during the first year were held in various places around town, including the Senate chamber of the Capitol.
Ashbel Green Simonton was a founding member of the congregation and went on to found the Presbyterian Church in Brazil, which today is even larger than the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), of which Pine Street is a member.
The neighboring Boyd Building, which today houses Downtown Daily Bread, Pine Street’s ministry to the homeless and hungry of Harrisburg, was built in 1916. Over the years there have been many activities, including bowling, basketball, football, baseball, a summer camp, motion pictures, checkers, an orchestra, glee club, and drum corp, and much more.
Famed architect Ralph Adams Cram led a major expansion in 1926, at which time the Sanctuary took its current form and the Ernest M. Skinner organ began its life of service to the congregation.
Pine Street has always been a center of mission and ministry, grounded by deep faith and worship to God.
Pine Street is a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)